Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Week #9: Hosting the Senior Missionaries

Hello
    Everything is going great on this end! We're just getting through our last few weeks and then we're off into the real world! So exciting! Travel plans come this Friday, and we can't wait! I'm glad  to hear you enjoyed the pictures! I've  got a few more I'm excited to send. We had an opportunity to do some REAL missionary  work. We mailed some letters to a friend of one of the Sister missionaries who is serving in Korea trying to teach some Cambodians. Her friend wrote and said she is having a hard time and asked for some help. We all decided to write our testimonies in script and send it to them.  It was cool. I hope they can read and understand what we're trying to say! I took some pictures of my letter so you can all see what my script writing is like. We still have a long way to go to progress in that area but I think the letters turned out pretty well.
    Yesterday we had the chance to host the senior missionaries. I couldn't help but think about you, Mom and Dad, and Grandma and Grandpa, when you come here someday to start your missions. It was so fun explaining everything to them, all that we've learned about the MTC since being here.   And I enjoyed having the opportunity to try and make their first day a little less overwhelming. The first couple we hosted were going to Anaheim, CA.  That’s right next to Long Beach, so that was neat. They were stayin in the newly remodeled senior residency.  Boy, let me tell you, they were NICE! It was like a hotel! There was fresh carpet, the beds were made with decorative covers, they have a fitness room right down the hall, vending machines, and a lobby with couches. The other side was more like our rooms, basically a dorm room, not even close to  being as nice. But they said they are supposed to be remodeling the whole thing soon, and it will be just as nice as that one couple’s residency.  So serving a mission as a couple might be easier than you think! Oh, almost forgot! You’ll never guess what this one couple pulled up to the MTC in—it was a HUMMER LIMO!!!! Picture coming!!!
    I'm not going to have time to write about a typical day at the MTC but hopefully I will be able to soon.
    And I just wanted to give you a quick update about our hypothetical investigators. Lookpu was hypothetically  baptized on Saturday. The session was great, the spirit was strong and the refreshments were delicious! (hypothetically haha) But sadly we now are done teaching Lookpu. Good news though--we have a new investigator named Thii (tea). We had our first appointment with him yesterday. He is much more lively and outgoing compared to Hang. He is a referral from the Branch President.  His daughter is engaged to Thii. Thii is training right now to be a policeman and is Buddist but seems to be very open to the idea of the church. After our first lesson we all felt that we should give him the baptismal challenge next time which would be the earliest we've ever given it.    Our teachers really encourage us to give the baptismal challenge as early as possible because it helps our investigators have a goal to work towards.  This leads them to keeping commitments.   It also helps them to really pay attention during our lessons and it helps them see why we keep coming back. Speaking of baptismal challenges...we extended the challenge to Trihn and Amanda this week.  They accepted! We still have to set up a date but I'm really excited for them because I think they will be a lot more proactive in keeping their commitments and such.
    Times up! gotta go. Love you all!
Elder Hicken
P.S. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for the last two packages!!! Loved the snacks!!  And mom your pumpkin bars and cookies are now famous amongst the Cambodian district here at the MTC! Heard the Suns didn't make the playoffs :( More pictures coming soon. Love you!                                                                            

No comments: