Thursday, May 17, 2012

Phone Call with Elder Hicken

Wow!  Just talked to Joseph on the phone!!  {He's flying to Long Beach today and had permisson to call home while in the airport.}  SOOOooooo..... good to talk to him!!!  To hear his actual voice!!  To feel his testimony growing.  And to feel his excitement about what he is doing.  He sounds really, really good!  Just like our Joseph!   I put his answers to Jonathan’s questions at the very bottom, but here are some notes from OUR conversation:

1.        With the language—Joseph is feeling very blessed.  It has come easily for him.  He remembers at the beginning of the MTC being told in 12 weeks he’d be fluent, and he thought, “No Way!”  But now he’s like, “Mom, I’m pretty close to being as fluent as I am in French, in just 12 weeks!!  What a miracle!” (Glad he sees the hand of the Lord in that)

2.        Just a funny--he found that if he got stuck on a Cambodian word, he sometimes wanted to speak French.  And actually, if there is not a Khmer word for something, they use a French word—like backpack.  (In Khmer it is sac-a-dos)

3.        Two days ago he finished his goal of learning the First Vision in Khmer!  Yeah!  Isn’t that awesome!  He gave it to me, said the whole thing over the phone.  Wow!  Does he ever sound awesome!  Really good to hear him talk in Khmer.

4.        He talked about one sister and 2 elders going home while they were at the MTC—because of depression, and just too hard for them.  I told him, “And look at you—working hard, and hanging in there!  That’s awesome!”

5.     I shared how proud we are of him.  How much we have a testimony of what he is doing, and of this gospel!  That we want to…"talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, preach of Christ…that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

6.        He knows a little of the Cambodian history--the horrible Khmer Rouge coming into Cambodia and taking over, not that long ago!  Interesting to talk to him about that…. 

7.     He loved the Cinco de Mayo package...  Talked about the fun they had with that.

8.     I shared Shaun would encourage him to “enjoy the moment.”  That he can’t get time back.  Work hard now.

9.     And I shared that I would encourage him to “Never delay a prompting,” having had a recent personal experience with that.

10.   Can’t wait to get the package he sent home—with letters, pictures, and filled camera card inside!

Jonathan had these questions for Joseph.  Since he was in school when Joseph called, Susan asked for him!
·         Are you excited to go to CA?
Of course buddy, I’m way excited.
·         Did you like the food in the cafeteria at the MTC?
Really good—pretty much like BYU, but even better.  Ice-cream every Wed/Sun, and mint brownies.  So, you’ll have that to look forward to when you come on your mission.
·         How long will it take you to teach someone and for them to be baptized?
Depends on each investigator
·         How many people is your goal to baptize?
As many as possible—quantity AND quality! (our mission president said)
·         Do you have to wear a suit all the time?
To devotionals and big meetings we wear our full suit, but shirt and tie all the other times.
·         Did you make some good friends in the MTC?
YES!!  Really good friends.  Great companions...

No comments: