Hello!
Mom, I forgot your list of questions! Ughhhh!!!! I'll try to remember as best I can for now, and then bring your list next time.
So I got a new name! It’s a Cambodian custom. When new missionaries get here, we go to a members' house to get a Cambodian name because the Cambodians often can't remember our English name or something like that. So the name I got, and the name that all the Cambodians have been calling me, is SOTHIA. Apparently it means good heart and some other stuff that I couldn't really understand. But whenever I tell the Cambodians my name they always say it's a really nice name with lots of value. So i'm happy with it :) The only thing is I think it sounds girly. haha
Cambodian food-my first Cambodian dish on my second day was actually a "dessert." It was warm coconut milk with fried bananas, beans, seeds and these slimy strips of something. Gross! haha I basically was swallowing every bite whole so I didn't have to taste it. Elder Skidmore said a lot of their desserts are pretty gross, but he said I shouldn’t give up on Cambodian food yet. Some of it is actually really good but it's definitely going to take some getting used to. And Cambodians love to keep putting food on your plate. If you don't eat it, they get offended. So nights we eat at Cambodian members' we definitely get enough to eat!
Anyways...about our investigators!
1. Carol - Speaks English and Korean. (We teach all Asians but mostly Cambodians) She has such a sweet, happy spirit and just so great! We talked to her about the law of chastity and that she either needs to marry her boyfriend or move out. She took it very well and committed to keep the law of chastity. We were worried because if you remember she is mentally disabled, receiving disability checks, and we are concerned that her boyfriend is taking advantage of her. He doesn't like us very much even though we haven't really met him. BUT Carol came to church on Sunday for the first time and loved it! She stayed for the other Elders' Cambodian baptism and loved that too! She told us she had talked to her boyfriend. I guess he was okay with getting married and he told her he would support her in anything she does. So that was great! I just hope it really does all work out. She is to be baptized on the 1st of July.
2. Steve. Really neat guy. Raises two kids by himself. He seems to be sincerely searching for truth. He asks great questions and you can tell he is very interested about what we're teaching him. But our appointment with him fell through this week. I don't know if he just forgot or what. We went by and caught him later that night. It didn't seem like he was really reading (but we also found out he can't read very well) or praying very much. When we invited him to come to church again he said he couldn't because he was already going fishing that day. Not sure he's trying very hard to get to church. His June 10th date isn't good anymore because he needs to come to church twice before being baptized.
3. Charles. It was a miracle that we met him. Right before going home one night we were waiting at a stoplight on our bikes and because we are trying to talk to everyone, we started a pick up conversation with this young black kid (probably 25) standing next to us. We found out that he actually already knows members of the church, people that go to our ward, Duke was one of them. Duke hadn't been back to church in over two years and randomly he showed up last week with a friend-Charles! We never got to really talk to Charles. We were hoping to teach him. But we did get a hold of Duke eventually. We asked him if he knew anything about Charles and he said that Charles was his younger brother! He said Charles was dying to get baptized! So, we went and met Charles the next day and he committed to be baptized on the 10th of June! He came to church and is just so excited! It was truly a miracle! We've been just searching and knocking and talking to everyone, trying to find people to teach. This definitely was an answer to prayer! Unfortunately though, we might not get to teach him because he doesn't speak Cambodian and he isn't Asian. :( but that's not what matters right? Sigh. Haha. We're still really excited about him. )
Okay I've got to go. It's Memorial day and since all the libraries are closed the computers are on high demand! Love you all!
Mom, I forgot your list of questions! Ughhhh!!!! I'll try to remember as best I can for now, and then bring your list next time.
So I got a new name! It’s a Cambodian custom. When new missionaries get here, we go to a members' house to get a Cambodian name because the Cambodians often can't remember our English name or something like that. So the name I got, and the name that all the Cambodians have been calling me, is SOTHIA. Apparently it means good heart and some other stuff that I couldn't really understand. But whenever I tell the Cambodians my name they always say it's a really nice name with lots of value. So i'm happy with it :) The only thing is I think it sounds girly. haha
Cambodian food-my first Cambodian dish on my second day was actually a "dessert." It was warm coconut milk with fried bananas, beans, seeds and these slimy strips of something. Gross! haha I basically was swallowing every bite whole so I didn't have to taste it. Elder Skidmore said a lot of their desserts are pretty gross, but he said I shouldn’t give up on Cambodian food yet. Some of it is actually really good but it's definitely going to take some getting used to. And Cambodians love to keep putting food on your plate. If you don't eat it, they get offended. So nights we eat at Cambodian members' we definitely get enough to eat!
Anyways...about our investigators!
1. Carol - Speaks English and Korean. (We teach all Asians but mostly Cambodians) She has such a sweet, happy spirit and just so great! We talked to her about the law of chastity and that she either needs to marry her boyfriend or move out. She took it very well and committed to keep the law of chastity. We were worried because if you remember she is mentally disabled, receiving disability checks, and we are concerned that her boyfriend is taking advantage of her. He doesn't like us very much even though we haven't really met him. BUT Carol came to church on Sunday for the first time and loved it! She stayed for the other Elders' Cambodian baptism and loved that too! She told us she had talked to her boyfriend. I guess he was okay with getting married and he told her he would support her in anything she does. So that was great! I just hope it really does all work out. She is to be baptized on the 1st of July.
2. Steve. Really neat guy. Raises two kids by himself. He seems to be sincerely searching for truth. He asks great questions and you can tell he is very interested about what we're teaching him. But our appointment with him fell through this week. I don't know if he just forgot or what. We went by and caught him later that night. It didn't seem like he was really reading (but we also found out he can't read very well) or praying very much. When we invited him to come to church again he said he couldn't because he was already going fishing that day. Not sure he's trying very hard to get to church. His June 10th date isn't good anymore because he needs to come to church twice before being baptized.
3. Charles. It was a miracle that we met him. Right before going home one night we were waiting at a stoplight on our bikes and because we are trying to talk to everyone, we started a pick up conversation with this young black kid (probably 25) standing next to us. We found out that he actually already knows members of the church, people that go to our ward, Duke was one of them. Duke hadn't been back to church in over two years and randomly he showed up last week with a friend-Charles! We never got to really talk to Charles. We were hoping to teach him. But we did get a hold of Duke eventually. We asked him if he knew anything about Charles and he said that Charles was his younger brother! He said Charles was dying to get baptized! So, we went and met Charles the next day and he committed to be baptized on the 10th of June! He came to church and is just so excited! It was truly a miracle! We've been just searching and knocking and talking to everyone, trying to find people to teach. This definitely was an answer to prayer! Unfortunately though, we might not get to teach him because he doesn't speak Cambodian and he isn't Asian. :( but that's not what matters right? Sigh. Haha. We're still really excited about him. )
Okay I've got to go. It's Memorial day and since all the libraries are closed the computers are on high demand! Love you all!
Elder Hicken


No comments:
Post a Comment