Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Week #10: Last letter from the MTC!

Hello Everybody,
    Travel plans came this week! So exciting! My flight leaves at 8:33 and I land at 9:32a.m. next Tuesday morning. So in less than a week I should be in the field! AHHHH! It's going to be so great to get a change of scenery and the opportunity to teach real investigators! I’m really looking forward to it.  I'm actually supposedly flying by myself.  I say supposedly because Elder Langford might get switched to the Long Beach mission. He is for sure being reassigned to a state side mission for at least six months, but it could be Long Beach, Boston or Sacramento. We’ll see.  He's been doing great and has been feeling fine, but they just want to be safe. It seems almost surreal that we are actually going to be heading out soon!  Can't believe it. A lot of change but it's very exciting.  For the last Sunday our district is going to sing the "As Sisters in Zion/ We'll Bring the World His Truth" song. It looks like I'm going to be the conductor.  May I just say, it's a lot more difficult than it looks!
    So something fun we did this week: during companionship study we have been trying to think of a way to apply Christ like attributes. For this week we chose to work on charity and love. We decided we would surprise the Sisters by making them each a picture card saying how great they are and how much we appreciate them. Then we bought them a bag of chips and a jar of salsa to go along with Cinco de Mayo.  It was so much fun being charitable! They loved it, and even though they knew it was us, we denied all of it. It was great!! I think it's that kind of fun that people talk about when they say the mission was the best two years of their life.
    As our departure date is nearing, we're starting to learn a lot more now about the Cambodian culture; how they speak and what the people are like. Apparently the Cambodian language is much like the English language, in that they shorten everything! There are a lot of common phrases that they cut short, and a lot of the time they sound nothing like the way we learned to say and understand them. so, that will be interesting.  Also, the Cambodian people are very touchy. It was interesting seeing one of the Cambodian Elders and our teacher interact because they were constantly touching each other. I guess it's just part of their way of communicating.  I am not a touchy person at all so that will definitely take some getting used to. I feel like there was something else I wanted to say but as of right now I can't really remember.  Plus, this computer is freezing every five seconds.
    I'm sorry this was just a quick update. I think I should have more time to E-mail in the field. Love you all!!
 
Elder Hicken
 
THANK YOU THANK YOU for the Cinco de Mayo package mom! So fun!! we had our own little party for 30 minutes before we had to be in bed. Elder Gerrard and Scott ate the whole thing of hot salsa.They were dying but it was so funny! Then I ate the whole thing of bean dip. Let's just say our companionship was definitely pulling our weight as far as using the bathroom goes! But it was all so fun! Everyone says thank you!

No comments: