Dear Family and Friends,
I am going back to Cambodia Town tomorrow! I’m so
excited! And I'll actually be in Cambodia Town. (When I left, I was
serving everywhere around Cambodia Town.) I'm really looking forward to
being immersed in the Cambodian language and culture again.
Last night, we went to the departure fireside for Elder
Skidmore. He’s going home tomorrow. What a great missionary he is. Then, Elder
Burbank goes home in August. What hit me is that after Elder Burbank leaves I'll
be the oldest serving Cambodian missionary in our mission. Scary. But seeing
these missionaries come and go just reminds me how fast this time really does
fly by, and how precious each moment really is. It’s neat to see the changes
that happen over time.
I got to talk to Sunra and Sao and some of the other
Cambodian ladies that came to the fireside. I didn't realize how much I missed
them until I saw them last night. They truly are the most kind, innocent,
care-free, humble, loving people you'll ever meet. Sunra was excited to tell me
that Sao had been baptized, just as we had both hoped. She really made sure that
happened while I was gone. Not only that, but Sao has been to church every
single week, and for all three hours.
Plus she has even been to the temple and done baptisms for the dead. I
just felt so happy inside hearing all of this. It was great to see everyone
again-the Cambodian Elders too. Elder Sturgell came up to me, gave me a hug and
told me he's got a baptism coming up this week. I just love all these guys and
all the Cambodians and everything about all of it.
Of course I'm going to miss the people here in Huntington
Beach. I feel like you don't realize the relationships you've built with these
people until it's time to go. As I was telling people that I was leaving
yesterday, it really hit me that I might not ever see some of them again. Sister
Taylor is probably the one that I'm going to miss the most. We’ve been living at
her house. I walked into her office this morning to ask about some books. She
looked like she had been crying. She has said all along that she didn't want
either of us to leave. She's really loved having us stay with her and we've
loved being here. I think as a missionary you build these kinds of relationships
with people that are unique. Unique
in that it's a relationship of service and love and working together. Kind of
like a family. My testimony has grown so much working in this area. I'm excited
to share my increased, sure, faith in Jesus Christ with the Cambodians when I go
back there tomorrow.
Elder Jolley is going to be staying here in HB, and he
will be a trainer! Exciting for him! It’s humbling knowing that I’ve been his
trainer. I just hope I've taught him the most important things that he’ll need
to know to now do the same for a missionary of his own. I know he'll do a great
job. He's solid. And then I'll be with Elders Burbank and Elder Sturgell. It’s
humbling to still be a zone leader. So Elder Burbank is now a zone leader as
well and he'll be my "zone leader companion" as they like to call it. It'll be
fun! Have a great week everyone! I love this gospel.
Love,
Elder
Hicken


No comments:
Post a Comment