Dear family and friends,
So yah, it's HB not Huntington Beach I’ve learned. I'm trying to become one with the people here by picking up their lingo (but not all of it of course
).
Teaching wise, it was better this week. We found some new people, and got to know more ward members, along with other things. Brother Bontempo, our ward mission leader, is incredible! He's basically this ward's Sunra. He's always willing to come out with us, and he has a great way with people. He’s enthusiastic about missionary work and he’s just awesome. He's got the whole deal. We call him the big guns. He's such a help to us. In just these last two weeks he's really taught us a lot about how to best work with these people. Elder Jolley and I both have been learning a lot from him. The concerns and objections people have here are much different than Cambodian's. I've especially had to become more familiar with the Bible and how to use it in resolving concerns and objections. We're also finding that it's super important to love people if we want any chance at getting them to listen to us sincerely. The people here are definitely hard-hearted but we've found that as we strive to show charity and as we are careful in how we treat them, things work out much better.
So anyways, we brought in the big guns for a couple of our investigators and despite all his help, we are realizing that the investigators the previous Elders had found for us weren't too solid. So we're really going to have to find new ones to teach this week, along with less actives. But we're excited and ready to do it! We are up for the challenge. We both really want to conquer the hard-heartedness in this area!
I'm having a lot of fun with Elder Jolley. He's opened up a lot more and he's turning out to be a pretty cool guy. It's great to see how he's becoming less afraid and more bold in talking with people. He's leading out in things and improving his teaching skills so much. I love it. It makes me want to be better!
I’m finding it's hard balancing being district leader, figuring out a new area, teaching, tracking, and training but I love the challenge. I love this work.
Well sorry it's short this week. Have a good one everybody!
Love Elder Hicken


No comments:
Post a Comment