Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Over 1 year mark -- and FIRST TRANSFER!


Dear family and friends,

Great week!  Sao came to church! What a highlight for us! She's a sweet old lady who is very sickly, like many of the other Cambodians we teach.  She is even usually hooked up to an oxygen tank.  So, what a miracle that she was actually able to come.  Sao is very blessed to have Sunra fellowshipping her.  Sunra has been so persistent about continuing to teach Sao. Sure enough, she was able to come to church this week and will probably have a date to get baptized soon! We have a lot of good things like that going on in this area right now. We're excited about a few more investigators that are either progressing towards baptism currently or will soon be on their way. And there are others who aren't investigators yet but just have good potential.  They will be perfect for the Park ward.
However, guess what? I'm going to have to leave all that behind. Tranfers were this week and I am going to be moving out of the Cambodian ward into an English ward. Elder Skidmore will be coming back from his English area to take my place. I will be going to Huntington Beach 7th ward . It's actually kinda funny because when I got the call that I was going to be transferred they had me guess where I was going. (they never just tell you, they always like to have fun with transfers and stuff)  So who knew I would actually guess it right on the money. Exactly the right area and ward. Crazy! I honestly had no idea where I would be going! haha I've heard it's pretty much the opposite of where I am now--rich, white, functioningl ward. (Hope that doesn't sound negative, I love it here!) While there I am also going to be district leader and training a new missionary. It's sad to be leaving the Cambodians. I've developed such deep relationships with many members of the ward.  I'm really going to miss them. It's going to be sad saying goodbye. (I actually tried not to tell anyone I was leaving, but word got out FAST! First person to walk into church on Sunday, 12 hours after transfer calls, "I hear your heading to Huntington Beach!") But it's okay. I'll probably be back in three months or so.
Although I'm leaving all the amazing people in my area right now, it's good to be able to look back and say I've left the area better than I found it. When I got here, it was dead. Now it's a hoppin' place.  I'm really going to miss the Park Ward for sure, but it'll be good to see what a new ward and new area will be like.  I’m looking forward to another opportunity to train and lead a district.
It's been great being with Elder Fowler, we’ve had a lot of fun together. We'll have to see what my next companion is like. Haha!  Anyways love you all! hope you have a great week!

Love, Elder Hicken

No comments: