Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Reasons to Serve a Mission


Our good bishop asked Joseph to write a note outlining some of the reasons he chose to serve a mission and the blessings he sees from being a missionary.  Here is Joseph’s reply to that:

                To anyone who is debating whether or not to go on a mission, my advice would be the famous "Nike" slogan: "Just Do It!". I can guarantee that if you decide not to go, you will regret it. It's an opportunity you just can't afford to miss out on. I'm already seeing the incredible blessings that come from being a full-time servant of the Lord. For example, I'm sure I'll never have difficulties getting out of bed by the time I get back. My study skills and people skills have improved drastically, my self- discipline, work ethic, independence, basic knowledge of how the world works etc...have all improved.  The list could literally go on and on. And I've only been out 8 months! The mission is something that, although you might think puts you two years behind, rather, it's something that will put you light years ahead. No matter what you will be sacrificing to go, the things you gain and the things others will hopefully gain because you decided to go, will make it all worth it.  I think another way to look at the mission could be simply as an opportunity to give back to God. This was a big reason why I decided to go. Just to give back and say thanks for all that Heavenly Father has done for me and blessed me with; like a wonderful family, the gospel, all the opportunities He has given me, etc.   I just got to thinking, after all He has done for me, how could I not go? How could I not just give two years back to him after the twenty amazing years he has given to me? And if I can help someone else receive the gospel in their life, it’s worth it.  I’ve realized that I don’t want to let others miss out on the same blessings I have.  But when it really comes down to it, I think it's just a matter of obedience. As men who hold the priesthood of God it is our duty to serve. It is a commandment from our loving Heavenly Father. He knows us better than we know ourselves so he knows what’s best for us.  And as we obey Him he will bless us. It will take some faith. but I know this is a true principle. Now, the mission will push you, but there are also a lot of really good, fun times too. I've had experiences that I know I wouldn't be able to have  had anywhere else. Just by simply being a missionary and interacting with so many different people, it's not long until you've collected a lot of pretty crazy stories. Also, you figure out little ways to keep things fun as you're out there working, on P-Days, and when you come home at night. All in all it ends up being a blast, believe it or not! However, I would say the best part is seeing the change that takes place when someone accepts the gospel. It's at that moment when you know the gospel is real and that you're in exactly the right place doing exactly what God wants you to do. It's an amazing feeling.

                Accept the call to serve! I promise you won't regret it!
Elder Hicken

No comments: