Dear Family and Friends,
Missions are amazing. Even though it can be hard and
sometimes frustrating working with non committed investigators, at the same time
it's very satisfying and so rewarding too. There are times when I'm on my way to
an appointment to see someone, or just biking home, and I can't help but feel
like I just love my mission so much! I love working with the Cambodian people. I
love speaking Cambodian. And Sundays are my favorite day of the week because I
just love seeing all of our amazing members! The ward is full of incredible,
faithful members that really inspire me.
Today we got to go to the temple! Sunra and Tee Chong
came with us. It was only Tee's second time doing an endowment. He did a great
job. (And guess what? A new video was shown today. It was
really good! Apparently we were some of the first people in the world to see
it.) Anyway, Tee, like so many other Cambodians, has an amazing
conversion story. He is going to be sealed to his family next month! That will
be awesome.
I'm now realizing how powerful it will be to have eight
Cambodian missionaries here in a little bit. I'm hoping that with smaller areas
we will be able to focus more on the all the less actives, and even the active
members too. Everyone in our ward needs to be continually nurtured, since most
people are recent converts. I think an extra two missionaries is really going to
help lift our ward even higher.
Quick miracle.
Earlier this week Elder Burbank and I were riding our bikes to an
appointment, and for some reason we decided to take the back roads rather than
the main, faster road. That small decision proved to be inspired. We ended up
running into a former investigator, Iam Hoy. We asked him how he was doing. He
said he was ok but that he had been up north for the past few weeks taking care
of his mom. She was in a coma and had an oxygen mask that she was using. She'd
been in the coma for a while and Iam was really concerned. I suggested that we
say a prayer for her right there on the street. He thought it was kind of weird
but he agreed. We said the prayer and the spirit was strong. Two days later
Elder Fowler and I were on splits and we decided to take the back roads again.
Once again, it must have been inspiration because we ran into Iam for a
2nd time! The first thing he said to us was that his mom had woken up
from her coma, and was now recovering nicely. We were so happy to hear
that! We feel grateful that the
Lord helped our investigator see the miracle in his life. We seem to have
miracles all the time, everyday, mostly lots of small, little ones, but miracles
nonetheless. It's always a blessing to see the Lord's hand in our
work.
Oh! And how can I forget that I got to hang out with Thea
for three straight hours this week during ward splits! Remember Thea? He was the
first baptism for Elder Sturgell and I. He makes me so happy every time I’m
around him. He has the funniest personality ever, and he really understands the
gospel. He's completely active, holds weekly family home evenings, and comes out
with us when he can. I was thinking if I could have my family meet anyone here
in Long Beach, it would be their family.
Thank you so
for your prayers and support! I love this gospel.
Love Elder Hicken


No comments:
Post a Comment