Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Optimism, Determination, and Confirmation

Hello!
                I hope everybody is doing well!  Despite some struggles here and there, it's really such a blessing to be a missionary!  I love it!
                This week was rough as far as finding opportunities to teach. We called, texted, stopped by, set appointments, didn't set appointments, the whole works, and it just seemed that everyone was too busy to meet with us. I'm optimistic though.  I’m sure this week will be better, especially since school has pretty much started and people are getting back into the routine of things.  Along with trying to find teaching opportunities, we have been serving over at Nike's house for the last couple of weeks.  It’s been great being there.  And we were excited that Nike was able to come out with us Saturday night to see Jimmy and Sandy. But unfortunately, we missed them, which was a real bummer considering we were finally able to get things to work out with Nike and his schedule. Hopefully we'll be able to try again this week.  We want to help Jimmy and Sandy come to church so bad, because as of right now, they are pretty much all we have left as investigators.  I'm afraid we're going to have to drop Peter because he just isn't showing any sincerity anymore. Before, he was a least still meeting with us, but now he's not returning our calls or texts, and he isn't keeping his appointments.
                The highlight of this week was definitely the four referrals we received along with several potentials Elder Fowler and I found on splits. I don't think it was coincidence that these came when they did. I'm praying these referrals and potentials will turn into investigators.  And not only that, but I’m praying that Elder Dain will have a baptism before he leaves. I really want to get a baptism somehow, someway here in the next three weeks. It's going to take a miracle and that's what I'm praying for. I just think it will be really good for us and especially for him before going home.
                For the most part, this week was really good for Elder Dain. Even on his bad days, I could tell he was holding on and trying to fight through "it" and continue to work effectively.  Sunday, things seemed to escalate a little bit and today is rough,  but I think P-day will give him that boost that he’ll need to keep going strong! 
                Okay so I have to tell you about Sang Huang's confirmation. I don't know if I ever told you guys about the dream she had, but here it is real quick.  She had this dream that men in white shirts and ties put their hands on her head and blessed her. That was amazing because that was before we even talked about the priesthood or conformation or anything! Well, we ended up giving her a blessing shortly afterward (this was back when Elder Skidmore and I were teaching her)  We thought that was fulfilling her dream .  But what we didn't know was that the men in white shirts and ties were Cambodians, not two white missionaries. So when she was confirmed on Sunday by Nike, Boon, Bora and other Cambodian men from the ward she brought up her dream again and said that was exactly like her dream.  She now feels like she's where God wants her to be. It blew me away. The spirits really does work uniquely with everyone!
Love you all! Thank you for your continued support and prayers!
Elder Hicken
P.S. Have any of you read a book called "Out of the Killing Fields and Into the Light"? Well, if you’re ever looking for a book to read, I hear it's really good! And every single person in that book is in our ward here in LB! Just something fun to check out if you are ever interested :)

No comments: