Monday, July 30, 2012

Alana the investigator -- not the cousin


Hello everyone!
 
How are you?  Overall things are just okay here. We didn't get to meet with any of our investigators this week. Peter just keeps cancelling and isn't getting back to us. Jimmy and Sandy weren't home both Saturday and Sunday (the only times we are allowed to visit them). And then, our new investigator from last week couldn't meet yesterday, and that is the only day she can meet with us.

But the good news is we did find another new investigator this week! Her name is Alana. She is a two year former investigator that has been through rehab several times for drugs and alcohol.  That is the reason why she didn’t already get baptized. Before I got here the Elders had been teaching her but then she just disappeared for a while. Miraculously though, the other Elders ran into her daughter and found out they had moved.  They were able to get her new address. Alana said she is ready to try again to turn things around. It was a really great lesson. We taught about faith by means of Alma 32 and then had an interesting object lesson that Elder Dain has done in the past. We had her balance an empty tea bag on her hand and then lit it on fire. She had to trust us that it wouldn't burn her. Sure enough, just before getting to her hand, it floated up and off her hand. Not an object lesson I would have chosen, but it was cool.  Also, a Cambodian lady sat in on the lesson. I think she was just curious. Alana speaks English but we taught the whole thing in Cambodian because the Cambodian lady was there. It was just a good lesson because the spirit was there. So hopefully there will be good things to come there.

I guess really the only other thing that stands out this week is just continuing to try and work with Elder Dain. I've just been having a hard time motivating him with the work. I really don't know what else I can do at this point. I'm just trying to always be the peacemaker and trying to help him along. It's extra challenging because he's the senior companion and he knows the area whereas I don't. I think we are going to work things out with President later this week. The good thing about it though is that I am taking the lead in most things, which just helps with everything from language to planning to teaching. And I think I'm getting a lot better at learning to deal with people. So really, I think it's a blessing in disguise. 

Alright, well I hope everyone is doing well! It was so fun to see everybody in the reunion pictures! I really miss you guys! But thank you for your support and love!

Elder Hicken

No comments: