Monday, November 18, 2013

Fried Bird, Anyone?

Dear family and friends,
   I apologize for not writing last week. I'll try to make up for it today by giving a two week update.
   So yes, tomorrow is transfers. I'm still in my same area with now just Elder Sam and I. Elder Tarter is leaving us to go with Elder Fowler and Elder Sam's twin brother in the car area. I think this will be good for Elder Sam for three main reasons. One, we won't need to keep going back and forth between the two languages. Two, he will be more involved in teaching, planning and other activities, not being a part of the trio any more. And three, he will be able to receive extra attention to help him stay motivated, obedient, and focused. Please pray for him. He is much like Elder Dain in that he struggles at times to keep the rules, to study, and to get out and work. He has strong faith in Jesus Christ and His restored church. I've just been trying to remind him of why he's out here, and that the Lord wants him to do what's right as he is serving here in Long Beach.
   These last three months of my mission are going to be very busy with little time to get trunky (think about home). I'm really excited about zone leading, and the challenge of training Elder Sam. I'm going to try to make it the best three months possible! When Elder Sam has his good days he is very fun to be around and to interact with. I showed him the letter I got from home with the picture of Sally. I said, "Hey Elder Sam look! This is my family's pet cat! First thing he says, completely seriously, "It'd be really good if I fried it."  Again he wasn't even kidding. (Sorry Jonathan) To further illustrate this point, just the other day he took his sling shot out on the patio and shot a bird, first attempt. It fell into our Cambodian neighbor's backyard. Elder Sam very casually asked the neighbor if he could go to the back to get our ball (and there really was a ball back there too). Then, he picked up the limping bird, brought it upstairs, whacked it against the floor, and next thing I knew, he fried it up and had lunch. Wow! What a shock! I'm not sure how legal that was. Luckily we were able to help Elder Sam understand that we shouldn't do that again. But it's sure amazing to see his native Cambodian side kick in!
   Did I tell you we had a baptism last week? Kevin Phao! He's about 17 years old. It was extra special because through his baptism, a less active member was reactivated. (His member girlfriend) It was a great service. And yesterday, he received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Seeing people change and progress just strengthens my testimony of this gospel so much. It's real. God is real. Jesus Christ actually came and walked the earth. We have the spirit to guide us and confirm the truthfulness of it all. It’s awesome.
   Being basically in the same ward for two years has allowed me to just watch these people change. It is incredible. Our ward mission leader is a prime example. His name is Om Ron. You probably recognize his name from past e-mails. When I first got here to Long Beach he was a BUM-straight up. Elder Skidmore and I would show up at his house and he'd be laying there on his couch shirtless, in athletic pants, with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. We'd barely get him to come out of his smoky house to read the Book of Mormon with us. And even when we did, he didn't seem to get that much out of it. However, somewhere we got the crazy idea to invite him to go proselyting with us. Amazingly, he agreed. Slowly but surely he started coming back to church. In jeans and a t-shirt, but he came to church. Then he started bringing investigators to church. Then he started wearing a shirt and tie to church, then a suit. Pretty soon he was baptizing most of our investigators. We have this wall next to our bishop's office where we've put up pictures of all the most recent baptisms. Om Ron is in at least half of the pictures. He's now our ward mission leader and he's doing a great job! He's one of my favorite members! When gospel principles are applied it changes people. People come unto Christ. A light enters their life. When I first got here, for Ron there was hardly any light besides his cigarette lighter. When members go out to teach more than just the investigator's life is changed. Their lives are changed.
   The church is true. "By their fruits ye shall know them" You look at the fruits of it in people's lives and the fruits of the church itself, and you just know it.

Have a great week!

Elder Hicken

No comments: