Monday, February 4, 2013

Death Taco Challenge


Dear family and friends,
Okay real quick here because we don't have a ton of time today. Transfers are kind of rushing everything. And speaking of transfers.....
I'm staying in the car area! And I will now be companions with Elder Fowler! Elder Sturgell will be going to the bike area and he will be working with Elder Low. Elder Burbank will be transferred out to an English ward where he will be a district leader. And Elder Skidmore is still up north working as a zone leader.  In the meantime I was called to be district leader.  Very humbling.  I'm excited about everything though. Change is energizing, and I think maybe even more so for us as Cambodian elders. Elder Fowler is really fun and Elder Sturgell will do so well over in the bike area. 
Being a district leader will be fun. I get to go on splits with all the other Elders and with the zone leaders. I also do call-in reports and give trainings every week at district meeting, so it'll be great! Our district is really young. I'm the oldest one!  Everyone is less than a year out in the field, but it's not going to belly flop. I know it will be great!  I think whenever transfers come we just gotta remember it's the Lord's work and He knows exactly how He wants everything in order to move His work forward.
Funny thing happened this week. After district meeting our awesome ward mission leader invited us out to eat with him. (he's actually moving soon). He took us to this Asian Taco place (weird right?). But it was super good! After we were done eating we decided we'd take the "Death Taco Challenge.”  
It's this taco that's about as big as a computer mouse and it is REALLY HOT!! There's all these rules to the challenge- like no milk, no water for two minutes, no screaming, etc.. So we all counted to three and shoved it in our faces. 
WOW!!!! Elder Sturgell was literally dripping sweat. Elder Fowler almost had a heart attack.  His whole left arm went numb. Elder Low turned super red and started rocking back and forth in his seat. My eyes were watering and my mouth was on fire. It hurt me to breathe.  And there sat Elder Burbank—hardly fazed at all, only a couple tears-definitely the hero of our bunch.   Anyways, we all survived and we made it out of there victorious! We were pretty proud of ourselves.
Right now we have a couple of older ladies we're teaching. They were actually both sick this week so they weren't able to make it to church but we'll just keep inviting them.  I love this work.
Okay gotta go!

Elder Hicken

No comments: