Monday, June 25, 2012

Charles is baptized -- by Joseph!, Miraculous vision, and Sushi!


Hello,                                                                                                  June 18, 2012
Oh my goodness!!! The new house looks sick! (Remember when you guys didn't get what that meant? And just look how far you've come!! haha) Holy cow!!!! I can't wait to use the sport court when I get back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (What color is the stripe in the sport court? I couldn't quite tell in the picture...) And the Theater room looks very fun too! Mom, can’t believe you haven't tried it yet?!? jk I know you guys are so busy with moving in and trek (by the way, good luck with all of that!)  But great job mom and dad on the house! The kitchen/ living room/basement lounging area is beautiful! It all looks very well done! Are you guys happy with it? Can't wait to see more pictures! Speaking of which...I'm working on taking more pictures here so I have stuff to send you guys! I'm sorry I haven't been on top of that very much, but I'll try to do better so hopefully I can be sending some pictures to you soon! And I'm also sorry mom, but we're not allowed to take videos--mission rules.  
Wow! Lots going on at home! And I'm happy to report there’s a lot goin on here too! Charles was BAPTIZED TUESDAY!!!!!!!!!! AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! And his non-member, Cambodian wife, Sovania and their little child, less than two I think, were also there!  What a great spirit. The ward was so awesome!  So many came and supported Charles.  Such a great turn out.  And guess who got to baptize him??? Yup, I did!!!! What a great experience that was! It was totally last minute because unfortunately Charles' brother wasn't able to get a card from his bishop to prove that he was worthy to baptize. So the opportunity was given to me which I was a little nervous about but happy to accept! However, no one told me how to do it or anything so to make a long story short, let's just say the baptism itself was a little unorthodox.  I got him all the way under and back up on the first try though, so I don't feel too bad. haha We were just so happy that Sovania was able to be there! I keep hearing over and over again that we need to be getting our investigators to baptisms because it can be so powerful for them! We’re really hoping Sovania is going to want to learn now too. We need new investigators so badly! Elder Skidmore and I were just imagining the other day if their family got sealed in the temple, how neat would that be....WOW!
But, we did get new investigator this week! I may have mentioned her before because we initially contacted her a month ago, just by walking by and catching her working in her garden. But then she left for Cambodia so we didn't get to reconnect with her until this week. Anyways, we went over there with Sunraa and watched the restoration video and gave her a blessing because she was feeling sick. The blessing was actually really significant because before she left for Cambodia she had a dream that two men in white shirts and ties gave her a priesthood blessing to heal her. And this is before she ever learned about the priesthood or the laying on of hands or anything. We showed her a picture of someone giving a priesthood blessing and she just lit up!  She said that was exactly like her dream! So back to this week, we were about to give her a blessing and she was like, wait! This is just like my dream! We had totally forgotten about that.  Then we remembered the dream she told us and were like, woah! I hope the blessing helped her feel better. She came to church this Sunday all smiling and looked like she was very happy to be there!
We actually had a huge turnout on Sunday so I didn't get to follow up with her as much as I would have liked. Sunday was absolutely incredible! Literally ALL the less active people we’ve been working with came.  And our two recent converts and Carol, ALL showed up!!! It made up like 15 people. It was incredible! Me and Elder Skidmore just were looking back all smiles at everyone who came to church and were like, that's what I'm talking about! Oh man it was great! It was like our week's work really paid off. We are truly being blessed by the Lord for our efforts.
Okay I gotta go, but just know one more thing: I now LOVE Sushi. Thank you for your prayers and support! Have a great week!

Elder Hicken

No comments: